Surely you have wondered on more than one occasion how to get the anchovies in vinegar very white and with very firm meat? This is the main concern of everyone who prepares them or anyone who has in mind to prepare them someday. I have already been asked several times in my friend’s page on Facebook, where I invite you to participate. Many of us are already white and firm and we repeat over and over again to everyone who asks us, we have no secret, we tell you how we prepare them and the next time the issue comes up they ask the same question. Do you want to know the “secret”? Well, I have to tell you, my friend, that there is no secret. And now you’re thinking, well go ahead, this one does not want to tell me. You’re wrong,
I’ve been preparing them for a long time and I have to tell you that the only trick that exists is the early morning. And what has to do with getting the anchovies out early? The fresher the anchovies are, the brighter you will be, and the firmer your flesh. Well, if you are one of the first to buy the fresh anchovies in the fish market, you will find them at their best. Each time the fishmonger puts his hand “carefully” to catch a handful of fish for his client @, those cute and silver minnows receive small bumps and their skin and meat are damaged. When you have them in the bag and you keep them in the fridge, there will be small specks of fish blood that will stay forever. So I know the first to buy them, and when you get home, without going through the refrigerator, clean it well and start your preparation. If you cannot be one of the first, you’ll prepare them equally, they’ll work just as good, but maybe they’re not going to be the nicest you’ve ever seen. This is the only secret. So I’m going to tell you how to prepare them so that you also get very rich.
My advice is that the frozen one once you have finished with the whole process of preparation and thus when thawing them, you will be able to consume them directly. To avoid problems with contamination of anisakis, the Ministry of Health recommends freezing the fish, clean of viscera, for at least 24 hours at a temperature below -20ºC. I leave you here the triptych of the councils of the Ministry of Health in case you want to know a little more about this type of food contamination.
- 500 g fresh anchovies
- 300 ml of white wine vinegar
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic
- A sprig of parsley
You can see this video on YouTube to comment, bookmark I like or subscribe to my channel video recipes.
Very white pickled anchovies: recipe preparation
- To clean the anchovies, if you are not lucky that your fishmonger gives them clean, you have to put your finger under the head and look for the thorn. Move your finger to the end of the tail, pull the spine, break it on the tail part, without pulling it out and you can pull it and with it will unlatch the head. There are those who break the head and pull the thorn. Choose what fits you best.
- Put the anchovies in a bowl with plenty of cold water. In this step you can add salt to the water; I prefer to put it to the end. When they are all clean, wash them under the jet of cold tap water and rinse them several times inside the same container, manipulating the fish at least. When the water comes out clean, it is time to put them in vinegar. I change the water three or four times.
- Put a good stream of vinegar in a bowl. Place the anchovies with the skin at the base and when you have a layer, water them with vinegar. Go making layers until they are all covered with vinegar. Introduce it in the refrigerator for an hour and a half to two hours. There are those who make them in half an hour, I always leave them this time.
- After two hours, they are taken out of the vinegar. Place a good layer of extra virgin olive oil (the better the oil, the better the final result) and a layer of anchovies, the corresponding salt and a few sheets of garlic. Cover with plenty of oil. If you like, you can also season with a little pepper and parsley. Lay layers of fish, salt, garlic and oil until done. Once you have placed all the anchovies, it is time to store them in the freezer to avoid possible anisakis problems. Remember, minimum frozen 24 hours with a temperature below -20 ° C. This step does not improve them, but ensures that there is no contamination and avoid problems.
- When you are going to consume them, defrost before at room temperature, never do it in the microwave. Serve them very cold, with some chopped fresh parsley and you can accompany them with some olives.